This one is, of course, a pretty popular book tag. First started by booktuber ReadLikeWildfire, it’s since been done by bloggers everywhere.
How it works is, the tag has a set of would-you-rather type scenarios and you have to randomly select two characters from your own created list for each scenario, and choose the character you think meets the description better. The other character, sadly, is “not good enough”, hence the name of the book tag for those who were curious. (Don’t worry, you yourself are good enough. The objective of this tag isn’t to trigger crippling anxiety. I hope.)
Here goes my own take on it, comprised of characters from YA novels I’ve read in the past year.
1. You only have one more spot on your Spelling Bee team, who would you pick to complete your team?
Wren Silke (The Wren Hunt) vs Kate Harker (Our Dark Duet)
Tough because both are smart protagonists, but probably Wren as she seems to have more book smarts and has taken her formal education more seriously. Kate, on the other hand, burned down a building in her last boarding school.
2. Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving?
Cole Franklin (This Mortal Coil) vs Cardan (The Cruel Prince)
I’m basically screwed against both of them, considering one has superhuman strength and the other is faerie royalty with the magic to match. I have to assume morals are off too, or else both of these guys wouldn’t be trying to kill me. Cole I could theoretically take out with enough technology while there’s no real guarding against magic, so I guess I’d kill Cardan first, if I somehow even could do that.
3. You’re on the bachelor/bachelorette and you’re down to these two characters, which one are you going to give your rose too?
Julian (Caraval) vs Ellery Finch (The Hazel Wood)
Ellery is a groupie with some seriously weird obsessions so sorry, it’s gonna have to be Julian. Who is also up there on the scale of weirdness, but at least it’s justified with him.
4. You’ve been chosen for the Hunger Games, who would most likely volunteer in your place?
Adina Siegel (You’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone) vs Nesryn Faliq (Tower of Dawn)
Nesryn, because Neith’s Arrow is selfless at heart and, as her moniker implies, stands a pretty good chance of winning.
5. You’re stranded on an island. Which character would you sacrifice to engage in cannibalism?
Alice Crewe (The Hazel Wood) vs Rhysand (A Court of Wings and Ruin)
Jeez, I literally wouldn’t, but let’s look at it this way: Rhys undoubtedly has the power to get us off the island, I mean come on. So if for some reason he’s unwilling to do it, I’ll threaten to kill and eat him unless he gets us all off. That should do the trick.
6. You’re the next DC/Marvel superhero (with your own tv show of course), who is your sidekick?
Queen Katharine (One Dark Throne) vs Nemesis Impyrean (The Empress)
Nemesis without hesitation, she’s the more loyal and powerful one, at least until Katharine realises her true abilities.
7. You’re a manager of an Avocado admiring company, who would you fire for lack of communication skills?
Lazlo Strange (Strange the Dreamer) vs Dolph Saunders (The Last Magician)
Sorry Saunders, you’re out. Lazlo’s people skills are in the stratosphere. Plus Dolph, while a sneaky genius, isn’t really the communication kind of guy. What he did to Leena was pretty dodgy.
8. You’ve just finished a book in which your favorite character dies, which character is most likely to comfort you?
Tyrus Domitrian (The Empress) vs August Flynn (Our Dark Duet)
If this is Our Dark Duet August and The Empress Tyrus then probably neither, to be honest. If we’re going with both characters in their most sympathetic, morally untarnished versions then August, because Tyrus has to keep up appearances even if he sympathises with me.
9. Ugh, it’s high school. Who would most likely be part of the popular clique?
Chaol Westfall (Tower of Dawn) vs Madeline Wallace (Batman: Nightwalker)
Madeline 100% does not have time for this, but Chaol would be right at home with a crowd of girls around him 24/7.
10. The day has arrived; you’re finally a year older! Who would have the nerve to forget your birthday?
Sarai (Strange the Dreamer) vs Lada Dracul (Now I Rise)
Do I even need to answer this? I love Lada, but presents and fun are just not her thing. And she’s probably too busy conquering her kingdom to worry about trivial celebrations.
11. You’ve just found an upcoming booktube star? Who would most likely be?
Jude Duarte (The Cruel Prince) vs Calista Harkness (The Wren Hunt)
Neither are particularly photogenic or charismatic, but I feel like Jude’s youth and scrappiness would attract viewers to her, whereas Calista would just be an ice queen. So I’m going with Jude.
12. Sleepover time! Unfortunately you can only invite one person, who would you invite?
Radu Dracul (Now I Rise) vs Queen Mirabella (One Dark Throne)
Radu I love you, but I’m gonna have to choose Mirabella here. She’s outgoing, fun, kind and has some crazy elemental powers, basically everyone’s ideal best friend.
13. Bam, you’re pregnant. Who’s the father/mother?
Feyre Archeron (A Court of Wings and Ruin) vs Emika Chen (Warcross)
Oh, okay. I’m gonna have a kid now and get to decide who the parent is. I feel like Feyre would be the better mom here, and Emika would totally be the cool aunt who shows her nieces/nephews how to hack and do cool stuff. Can I just have them both in those respective designations?
14. You’ve just written a super important text. Who would ‘see’ it, but not reply?
Tovah Siegel (You’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone) vs Hideo Tanaka (Warcross)
I can so easily see Hideo doing this, emotionally constipated genius that he is, it’s unbelievable.
15. You’ve just woken up and it’s time for breakfast. Your mum’s been replaced by…who?!
Camellia Beauregard (The Belles) vs Harte Darrigan (The Last Magician)
I…have to assume it’s Harte here, and he’s doing a mind trick on me. Or maybe Camellia has changed my mum’s appearance to look like her? But then she wouldn’t actually have been replaced, just have gotten a makeover. Whatever, I’ll go with Harte.